Chicago Black Gay Men’s Caucus invests in our local public health industry’s ability to provide fully and passionately for Black gay, bisexual, and same gender loving men. This work centers on developing the ability of institutions to elevate their level of service, advisor recruitment, community strategies, and educational collateral. This also involves disseminating knowledge across sectors and to the community at large.
Read on for examples of our current and recent efforts to build the capacity of our community.
Presentations, Trainings and Panels
- Trainings on Cultural Humility: Black Gay Men & PrEP (PrEP CONNECT at Loretto Hospital), Cultural Competency 101 & 201 (National Health Corps Chicago), and HIV 101 (St Norbert College).
- Panelist on topics such as HIV/AIDS & Race (Art AIDS America), Racial Justice & LGBT Equality (EqualityCon), Life Stories: LGBTQ PoC (Evanston Township High School), Intersectionality of Sexual Identity, Race, & Ethnicity (LGBTQ Health Conference), and XYZ (Southside Churches and Communities United).
- Presentations at conferences including Innovations in Research and Practice for the Broader Community Impacted by HIV in Chicago and Illinois (United States Conference on AIDS), Using Asset-Based Community Development to decrease local HIV/AIDS disparities in Black MSM in Chicago (United States Conference on AIDS), Defending Against HIV Criminal Laws (United States Conference on AIDS), and Creating a Unified Future: A Young Service Provider’s Experience (United States Conference on AIDS), and LGBTQI People of Color & HIV: The Health Benefits of Community Mobilization (LGBTI Health Summit)
Ongoing Consultation Projects
- Consultation projects on PrEP implementation & recruitment (Howard Brown Health, CORE Center’s PrEP CONNECT)
- Consultation projects on mobile app development & effectiveness (University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago).
Planning and Advisory Body Membership
- Statewide HIV undetectability and elimination of new infections (Illinois Getting to Zero)
- Meningitis epidemic among Black gay men and citywide responses (Chicago Department of Public Health)
- HIV science and health literacy in Black communities (Black Treatment Advocates Network of Black AIDS Institute)
- Advocacy on local, state and national levels by those living with and vulnerable to HIV (Illinois Alliance for Sound AIDS Policy)
- Public education, advocacy and protection of the rights of the LGBT community (Equality Illinois Community Advisory Group)
- Connections between sexual health, drug use, and sexual relationship patterns among young men who have sex with men (RADAR Advisory Group, Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, Northwestern University)
- Regional service gap identification and set grantmaking/advocacy priority-setting (Service Provider Council, AIDS Foundation of Chicago)
- (Recently) Citywide HIV priority setting & resource allocation (Chicago Area Integrated Service Council)
Interested in our expertise?